Friday, January 13, 2012

Classical Conversations

This fall I took a huge leap of faith and enrolled our two oldest children in a homeschool group that goes by the name of Classical Conversations. It was a leap of faith, because when you are starting to learn about the Classical model of education, and all that it entails, it can seem pretty scary. I felt totally unqualified to lead my family in this model of education. I gave it a shot anyways. I signed us up and paid the tuition and fees, and thanked the Lord that at least I wasn't going to be a tutor for one of the classes. Then the director called and told me that she needed another tutor. I questioned her choice, and after she assured me that she had no one else to call upon, I accepted.

I have learned so much through this journey. I have amazed myself at what I have learned, and what my children are able to learn and retain. I am really using this year as a trial year. It is our first year venturing into Classical Education, and this has been a challenging year for other reasons, so I am working on keeping this year fun, retaining what we can, and planning on going at it with a clearer perception of what Classical education is and what it means to our family as we move into next year.

If you would like to see the blog of someone who has a much better grasp at this whole thing check out this website. I am so impressed with her materials and I refer to this blog for ideas on how to review the material we learn at CC.  http://halfahundredacrewood.blogspot.com/p/classical-conversations.html

No comments:

Post a Comment