Thursday, July 30, 2009

Skills

Lesson learned today:

Just because my children have the skills equal to the task at hand it does NOT mean that they have the judgement equal to that skill.

Huh?

So there I was . . . surfing the Internet . . .I mean, feeding Megan and researching home school resources . . . when I heard the dryer buzzer go off. I promptly asked Jack and Laura to remove the laundry from the dryer. Typically, when they empty the dryer they also check to see if there is a load to be transferred from the washer to the dryer.

There was.

The skills were there . . . using their step stool they were more than capable of transferring the wet clothes over. They still can't reach the button to start the dryer, but hey, that's fine. And it was my saving grace this time!

I went to add a new load, and start the dryer. For some reason I checked the clothes in the dryer and discovered that they were SOPPING wet. So much so that the walls, floor, and dryer itself were sprinkled with water. (No doubt from their journey from washer to dryer) There was a pool of water on the floor in front of the dryer, as well as a pool of water sitting at the bottom of the dryer after I removed the wet clothes.

And the washing machine dial was sitting there, just about to hit the "drain and spin" portion of the cycle.

So their judgement didn't equal the skill.


(And, yes, you can start a load of laundry with the drain and spin cycle to remove excess moisture from your clothes)

No comments:

Post a Comment